You want to lose weight but you don’t know what the best products to include in your meal plan. Let me tell you a secret, any meal plan calls for a high amount of fresh fruits and vegetables since these are your best source for vitamins, minerals, and additional nourishments needed to keep you healthy and energized throughout your day. If you wish to have a healthy and nutritious meal plan, always include fruits and vegetables.
Why are vegetables important in your diet? First of all vegetables are a great source of fiber. Fiber is needed to help you cleanse your insides and eliminate harmful toxins that can be weakening your system. Another good reason to add vegetables to your meal plan is because vegetables are low in calories which you need. The lower the calories your food intake is, the lower the dormant fat that you retain in your body. Plus with the energy that vegetables provide, you can burn the fat accumulated in your body faster and double the rate.
Here is a list of vegetables that is great for your diet:
- Lettuce – lettuce are the number one must have for a person who wants to lose weight. Basically lettuce are a whole meal itself for some people but like most people who are on a diet, this is a staple ingredient for a healthy salad. Toss it with fresh cucumber, carrots, corn, peppers and/or onion with your favourite dressing and you are all set. A salad is a low calorie dish that helps eliminate hunger.
- Garlic and Onion – these are what we call flavor booster because they add that additional “tang” to your dish. Garlic and Onion are a good source of antioxidants that will help with toxin build up in your body. Garlic is also a great blood thinner and will reduce high blood pressure.
- Spinach – not only is spinach a great source of phytonutrients, spinach is proven to help a person with inflammatory problem, bone problem and cardiovascular problems. Like any other vegetable, spinach is also a great source of nutrients like Vitamin E and C, manganese, beta-carotene as well as zinc just to name a few. In addition to getting your vitamin and nutrients, spinach is also effective to help one with memory loss and age related problems.
- Zucchini – Zucchini, another vegetable in the green group contains 36 calories for 1 cup. It aids a person who’s having problems with indigestion and constipation plus it lowers blood sugar level. Additional added benefit of zucchini is that it helps reduce the chances of prostate problems because of phytonutrients in zucchinis. It can also act as an anti-inflammatory and reduce the risk of having heart attacks because it breaks down amino acids like homocysteine.
- Leeks – In addition to being an antioxidant, leeks contains high level of folate that also lowers the level of homocysteine in the blood. Leek is a great source of vitamin C, K and B6 in addition to having iron as well as manganese. Remember that leeks are with the same family as onions and garlic so they have the same beneficial effects indicated above.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is the best choice for people who are on a diet simply because it is delicious and can be eaten in different ways but for the healthy benefits, broccoli is a great source of fiber that helps cleanse our insides and flushes out toxins outside the body. Broccoli is also a great source of vitamin A. Why is broccoli a favourite ingredient in a diet menu? That’s simple. A cup of broccoli contains a high percentage of protein compared to a cup of corn or rice but has lower caloric level compared than the former two. More benefits but lesser calories.
- Beans – technically part of the legume family, beans contain proteins that equals to a small portion or ounce of meat. Beans also contain antioxidants plus it is proven to be an example of an anti-aging type of food. Furthermore, beans are very beneficial for a person who wants to lose weight since they low lever of glucose (sugar) and are known to eliminate the risk for diabetes. If you want an ingredient that will provide you with energy through the day, beans should be included in your grocery list.
- Carrots – Asides lettuce and potatoes, carrots are the third most advisable diet ingredient for various reasons. Asides containing vitamin and minerals, carrots are proven to help reduce the risk of stroke, heart disease, it helps improves vision due to Vitamin A and beta-carotene plus carrots help nourishes the skin because it is a great detoxifying vegetable and helps with anti-aging as well.
If you’ll notice from the list provided, majority of items in the list are mostly antioxidants and source for vitamins and minerals. Vegetables are not only healthy and nutritious, it is also cheap and you can even plant your own vegetable garden right at your back yard. There are tons of ways to incorporate vegetables in your diet without the risk of consuming more than the allotted daily calorie.